Sunday 12 May 2013

Since when was Mother's Day a public holiday?

Last week was mega stressful. The car was away at the repair shop - again - and we were without transport.

I re-arranged my week, cancelled plans and kept Junior home from kinder on Wednesday.


By Friday, and still sin carro, I decided that I would call a taxi to take us to kinder, and hope that the car would be back mid morning, as promised.


The taxi arrived and it was an amazingly new and small car. I strapped Junior in with the centre lap belt in the rear of the car, and climbed in next to him.


Back in the UK friends and family would  be horrified at travelling without the correct child restraints, but needs must, and I prayed for a safe journey!


Amazingly, the roads were empty - which is unheard of at 730 on a Friday morning!


I expressed my amazement to the taxi driver (as best as I could), something along the lines of  "no mucho trafico?" to which he replied with a huge spiel of Spanish, the gist of which I interpreted to mean "It's Mother's Day and everyone is at home with their children", but what he was probably thinking was "apart from the gringa who thinks kinder will be open, but hey, its a fare so I'll play along with her!"

So, we got to kinder, the gate was closed, I rang the bell, no-ones answered and I had to admit defeat and get back into the taxi.

Who would have ever thought that Mother's Day was a holiday? Surely the best present you could give most mother;s would be to keep her kids in school so that she does not have to spend the day entertaining them?


I managed to salvage the day by getting him to drop us off at the local mall so that Junior and I could have a Mother's Day breakfast together.

After we had breakfasted and shopped we needed to get a taxi home.


I hailed a taxi from the mall and was horrified to see that it was an old taxi with NO seatbelts at all.


So in good expat mum style, I took it all in my stride, hopped in the back, sat junior facing towards me and held on to him so tight I'm amazed he didn't turn blue!!


Just a normal day in the life of an expat mamasita in El Salvador!

No comments:

Post a Comment